Monday, August 12, 2013

Having An Affair?

When I talk about my husband, Bryan I usually gush. My eyes light up, and sometimes even fill with tears. I become very animated and excited to tell others about how awesome he is to me. I really like being introduced as his wife because I am so proud of who he is not because of his job or looks but because of how he treats others. When he walks into a room I still get butterflies in my stomach, take a deep breath and thank God he is mine! I know people get tired of hearing about him but I can't help be passionate about someone I love so much!!! 

I wonder if my relationship with God is like that? Do I gush about God? Do I get excited and enthusiastic to tell everyone about how God picked me up from the depths of despair and gave me a new life? Do I share how His love goes so deep and so wide that he sacrificed his son on the cross? Am I proud to be called the daughter of The King and show him this by how I live my life? Am I as exuberant about my relationship with Jesus as I am about the new shoes or purse I just bought? Or the marathon I am training for? Or the job I do to become more successful? Or the new kitchen that was just installed in my house? Or maybe even my children? I am by no means saying any of these things are bad but are they taking the place in my heart where Jesus should be? 

One pastor put it this way, "If you were cheating on your spouse, having an affair, you probably are not very passionate when describing them. Obviously something is wrong in the marriage relationship. So look at your relationship with Jesus. If you are not passionate and excited about Him what are you having an affair with that is keeping you from this?" WHOA!

"God, I don't want to be having an "affair" with anything that stands in the way of my relationship with you. Forgive me for filling up my heart with other things or people before you. I want my passion for you to shine through my actions and words. Give me a consuming fire to share who you are and what you have done for me with everyone you put in my path." 

Bryan loves me well but God loves me perfectly!

"My tongue will proclaim your righteousness, your praises all day long." Psalm 35:28


0 comments:

Post a Comment