Monday, September 16, 2013

Tasty!

Have you ever went to a restaurant and got excited to order food thinking it was going to be great and when it came out you were disappointed because it really didn't taste the way you thought it would? The picture looked so appeasing, the description was enticing and made your mouth water, and then it was blah! I get so frustrated when this happens to me, especially if it was an expensive meal. That makes it soooo much worse! I have wasted my time, my energy, and my money on something that just didn't meet my expectations or maybe even was a bit falsely advertised.

When I look over most of what the world has to offer, I suggest that the majority of the "things" we desire are a "bill of goods", surrounded by lots of false advertising, and empty promises about how said things will make our lives better when actually they are mostly just distractions. We keep searching for the next best "thing" to fill our void, our all consuming need to finally get "it", whatever "it" is...

But we were not created to "acquire" things, to store up treasures here on earth. When we come face to face with God he is not going to ask which tax bracket you are in, what car you drove, or how many activities your kids were in. He is not going to look at your beautiful front yard, awesome creative scrapbooks (gulp), or rare coin collection. He will ask, "Kimberley, did you love others well because of the sacrifice of my son?"

Yes, I too get tempted and often fall into the "I need this ____!" The pull of the world is strong. The distractions of the enemy are many but then I remember the "taste" of feasting on God's word, the joy when singing His praises, the tears shed when I see people loving others well, the awe of seeing the Holy Spirit unleashed in someone's life, the overwhelming kindness when people pitch in to serve one another. Nothing can take the place of God's mercy, grace, goodness, and love. God doesn't make false promises. He is the "IT" we are searching for! 

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2 NLT

0 comments:

Post a Comment