Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Generations X, Y, Z

   
Many times as adults we look at the generation behind us and roll our eyes. "They are so ungrateful, entitled, and rebellious", we utter in disgust. "They want everything right now. We actually had to work for our stuff", we say in judgment. "These kids are so much worse than we were at their age, just look at what they are wearing."

Really? Are they worse than the teenagers that followed Elvis or the hippies of the 60's or the free love ones from the 70's? Why do we focus on all the negative traits? What would it look like if we invested in the lives of teenagers and young adults rather than blowing them off? What if we raised the bar and expected them to reach for it rather than put them down or wait expectantly for them to fail? Have we ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe God creates the next generation to push back against all the things we have settled for? Maybe to give us a fresh look at "the church" we have watered down?

The song "Hosanna" by Hillsong United has a chorus that says,

"I see a generation 
Rising up to take their place
With selfless faith 
With selfless faith"

Every time I hear those words I cry. I become so choked up because I really believe this with all my heart. I have seen it with my own eyes. I personally know quite a few 20-somethings who fight against the norms of this world to remain pure until marriage no matter of the ridicule. I have heard 40,000 young adults raise up their voices in praise and not be ashamed of who they follow. I have watched teenagers earn thousands of dollars not to buy a car but to go on a mission trip to serve those who have nothing. These age groups are defying our mediocrity and search for the American Dream. They are hungry for transparency and the realness of the message of Jesus. They are not weighed down by our need for security or hung up on what you should wear to church or what church has to look like. I get it might come off as arrogance or even disrespect. But I have faith that God can use their passion for His son to start a revival even with their "attitudes".

I see a generation rising up to take their place with selfless faith! And I for one am going to cheer on, support and pray for their continued courage in spite of the way they go about it or if it makes me uncomfortable.


"They will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God their Savior. Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, God of Jacob." Psalm 24:5-6

0 comments:

Post a Comment