Friday, April 6, 2012

Bed, Bath & Beyond on Good Friday!

I ran into Bed, Bath & Beyond to pick up a blanket and was in a rush because Bryan had to get to work. I ran over to the check-out clerk and just wanted her to hurry up so I could get home. As she is ringing me up she asks, "Do you celebrate Easter?" I said, "Yeah, I do." She then says, "I am not a religious person and I wonder what does Easter really mean?"

I looked up at her and froze! All the theology I had ever learned and Christian 101 flashed through my mind... this is my moment and I couldn't figure how to get it out! The old guy behind me was tapping his foot and giving me a dirty look. A whisper....."Kimberley, testify to what you know."

"Easter is important to us because we believe Jesus died on the cross for our sins on Friday and rose from the dead on Sunday."

The cashier paused and exclaimed, "That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I grew up in Texas where it was shoved down my throat so I am really not that into it, you know."

I replied, "Well, my husband is a pastor at the church right down the street. At 5:00 on Sunday nights we meet. It's your age group and we won't shove anything down your throat. Maybe you could come check it out?"

She said, "Maybe I will."



I got into my car a little shook up. "God, did I say the right thing? Did I represent who you are? Did I even make sense? There is so much more I wanted to share! Do you think she will come to church?" I drove home listening to KLOVE and I started crying, crying because that is what Easter is about.

Easter is about sharing the Good News. The news that Jesus Christ came for everyone, not in judgment, not to condemn but to save the world through Him. My words were not close to perfect, they were not profound, they probably didn't inspire the check-out girl. But I was able to get out the basics and invite her to experience more. Maybe I should go back next week to that store:)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. John 3:16-17


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this story, thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment