Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Can't Please Them All

"Never try to be someone else in order to please.  Just be yourself and apologize as necessary." R. Brault

It is so easy to fall in to the trap of pleasing others. We want them to like us. We desire to feel accepted. We want to belong, be a part of something. But sometimes we lose sight of what is important. We lose focus on what we were created for which was definitely not to make sure everyone is happy. If we are so busy pleasing others we often have trouble standing up for what we believe, for who we are. I know I am supposed to love others but this does not mean I accept everything. I will not accept meanness, backstabbing, and gossip as okay behavior from grown adults. I do not think it is right to tear down another person so you can feel better about yourself. I do not think integrity is something you take lightly and your principals should not change with the most popular opinion. I will never accept hurting those we should be protecting, our children and the elderly. If to please others I have to accept these things without speaking up for what is right I guess I will not be liked by all or maybe not liked by most. I will not be silent just to fit on. But at the end of the day I want people to know that I stood for something rather than bowed down to everything.

"You do not wake up one morning a bad person.  It happens by a thousand tiny surrenders of self-respect to self-interest.  ~R. Brault

0 comments:

Post a Comment