Sunday, October 28, 2012

Put Down the Donut!

Yesterday I walked in a 5k for my friend Lisa who has breast cancer. I am not going to lie..I woke up a little sore, a bit stiff. I had not walked around the block for 10 years much less over 3 miles. I used muscles that I had forgotten about, put to rest a while ago. My kids doubted me, Lakin was afraid I was going to have call someone to come pick me up because I wouldn't finish. My husband just shook his head and said, "It's just like you not to walk ever and then to just start off with a 5k. You could have worked your way up to this you know?"

Yeah, Yeah but I have a reason to walk. I have a reason to put one foot in front of another. I have this amazing Godly woman who is fighting for her life. Her faith in God is unshakable. Her attitude is inspiring. Her smile is infectious. She is going for a run even during chemo treatments. Have you seen a picture of her beautiful children? This is enough for me to put down that donut, get off the couch, and walk a few blocks. If I can show her I love her, support her, pray for her, and am rooting all the way for her to win by doing something uncomfortable I will. My little jaunt around the neighborhood is nothing compared to the people around Lisa who are taking her to treatments, caring for her children, cleaning her house, helping her financially with the huge bill, and in the daily grind of life with her.

But this really isn't about me or what others are doing for Lisa this about the God we love and serve. He says to bear one another's burdens, to love at all times, to be a team, the Body of Christ. When one of us gets knocked down, the rest us of should rally around and not only pick them up but carry them to the finish line. Yesterday I ran for team Lisa but every day I run for the one who created me. Today, I THANK God I am sore. It reminds me to pray for my friend.

"God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen." 
1 Peter 4:10-12

0 comments:

Post a Comment