Monday, January 28, 2013

Burning Bush in My Bedroom?

In Exodus 3 and 4 Moses is having a conversation with God. He is up on Mt. Sinai and God appears to him in the form of a burning bush. If it wasn't such an epic conversation, I would actually make fun of it because it looks very similar to many "chats" I have with God. (Usually as I am praying in my bedroom).

"Kimberly, I need you to do this." 

"No God, I don't want to. I am not equipped. You are asking too much. Leave me alone."

God is asking Moses to lead His people, the Israelite's, out of Egypt. Okay, that sounds pretty huge especially since they had been SLAVES for the past 400 YEARS! Not to mention the Egyptians were one of the most powerful nations in the world.
 

So of course Moses is a bit skeptical, "Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?” God, you have got this wrong! I am not the person for the job. Don't you remember that I left that country a disgraced prince after I killed one of their soldiers? Surely you must have someone better to carry out this task? Someone smarter, more powerful, well liked, richer, anyone but me!

God being God, reassures him by saying, "I will be with you."
 

Moses being human and probably completely freaked out, replies, "Who do I tell them sent me? What if they won’t believe me or listen to me? What if they say, ‘The Lord never appeared to you?'”

God performs a sign. He turns the staff in Moses hand to a snake. This should do the trick. I mean if God can do this then He will make good on his promise to help Moses. 
Right?
 
Not exactly. Now Moses starts pleading, “O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.”

I am sure God took a deep breath and sighed. Come on Moses. What's it going to take? "Then the Lord asked Moses, “Who makes a person’s mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.” God is kind of laying the smack down here. Don't you know who I AM? I am in charge of it all. I will tell you what to say just get your hiney moving.
 

But Moses again pleaded, “Lord, please! Send anyone else.” Moses seems a bit slow doesn't he? A bit stubborn? Fearful? Maybe even a bit selfish? What God is asking him to do certainly doesn't sound comfortable.
 

Does this sound familiar? God asks us to do something and we give him all the reasons why we can't? God reassures us that He will take care of us. We just have to obey. But we hesitate. Drag our feet. Come up with more excuses. Find somebody to agree with us that God has this one wrong. Or we flat out put our fingers in our ears, our hands up and say, "NO! Not going to do it."
 

Moses finally stops his arguing and leads his people out of Egypt. (God did give him, Aaron, his brother to go along too.) It was not easy. He had many problems, serious ones along the way. Think plagues, diseases, even death. But he did obey and he lead an entire nation to freedom!
 

Now, maybe God is not asking you to free a nation. But I will bet, He is asking you to do SOMETHING! And maybe He is not in your bedroom speaking through a burning bush, but again, I bet He has stirred your heart, gently whispered, or keeps bringing the same thing to your mind, wanting you to say YES, I WILL DO IT! What is stopping you? Your pride? Fear? Comfort? Doubts? If Moses said no do you think God would still have freed Israel? You betcha! God's plan, will get done. But where would Moses be? Certainly not talked about in the Bible or being played by Charlton Heston every Easter. God chose him for this specific purpose. God is choosing YOU for His purpose too. But you have to say, "Yes, God! Whatever it takes!"

“If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones....." Luke 16:10




0 comments:

Post a Comment