Thursday, January 3, 2013

Goodbye 2012..Hello 2013!

As I say goodbye to 2012, I tried to reflect on all the things that occurred. There were good times and bad times, many ups and many downs. Experiences that made me laugh..out loud and some that made me cry..a lot! What did I learn? What can I take with me into the New Year? What do I need to leave behind or let go of?

Things that I am going to take with me in 2013...

1. Love, love and more love.
“I am not sure exactly what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will not ask, 'How many good things have you done in your life?' rather he will ask, 'How much love did you put into what you did?” ― Mother Teresa

2. Joy
Nobody can steal my joy. My joy comes from the One who lives in me who is greater than anything else. I can be batter, bruised, even beaten down but true joy cannot be taken.

3. Hope
Even in the darkest times, there is always hope. Hope for a new day. Hope that rises from the ashes. Even a small sliver, a tiny glimpse of light can be grabbed a hold of to get you to tomorrow. My destiny is held in the hand of Jesus. "No power of hell or scheme of man can pluck me from His hand."

4. Boundaries
It is okay to set healthy boundaries with people in my life. I was not born to be a door mat. I cannot do everything. I am not Super Woman. It is okay to say no sometimes even if people get upset.

5. Own who I am..I am MY CHOICES.
I will take responsibility for my actions, my emotions, my feelings, and my responses. I will not push these off on other people or expect them to fix anything for me. I am the daughter of a mighty, mighty king and I will live life trying to make wise choices accordingly.

6. The Truth
The world is noisy. Loud. It offers lots of distractions and false promises. I commit to constantly seeking the truth. Pushing back the darkness that pulls us into despair and addictions. "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32

Things that I will leave behind...

1. Unforgiveness
Holding grudges and an unforgiving attitude usually hurts me more than the other person. Bitterness takes root and slowly destroys from within. I have been forgiven many times over and with God's help I will not let the spirit of unforgiveness settle down in my heart for too long.
2. Anger
Anger is not my friend. It often causes me to over react and put my foot in my mouth. Anger is a flashing red light warning me that something else is going on that I need to deal with. "
Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end." Proverbs 29:11

3. Negative Thoughts
My thoughts are powerful. What I choose to focus on, think about, and let run amuck in my mind is what will come out of my mouth. I will choose to capture negative thoughts quickly so that they don't control me and become a bad habit.

4. Selfishness
I will try to remember that maybe, just maybe it's not all about me. Most of the time I throw a fit or get upset is because I haven't gotten my way or an expectation hasn't been met. I was not created to be all about Me, Me, Me. I was created to "Love the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind and with all my strength. The second is this: ‘Love my neighbor as myself." Mark 12: 30-31. 
I can't do any of this very well if I am focused on the person in the mirror.

“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. 
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. 
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. 
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. 
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. 
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.” 
 Mother Teresa


0 comments:

Post a Comment