Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas Is Over...Now What?

I was FINALLY taking down my Christmas tree on Sunday and I realized I was a little sad. First, because I knew it would take me forever, but also because a very important season had come to an end. Gone were the smells of cinnamon candles, lights on my mantle, festive decorations that made my house feel warm, lots of family time, and the expectation of excitement that fills the air.  As I was wrapping up an ornament that said, "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" I stopped and thought hmmm, I wonder if he would be okay with being just part of a season. We do give him two big ones, Easter and Christmas but often he isn't quite as popular the rest of the year. Schedules, relationships, work, hobbies, sports, sin, life in general.... all get in the way and kind of push Him to the background. He stops being the focus or the center of our lives. We come down from the whirlwind of the holidays and race off to "fix" ourselves and our families. Maybe we subconsciously forget that Jesus shouldn't be contained to certain times of the year but so ingrained into our everyday lives that his light shines ALL the time. What would it look like if Christians had the "spirit of Christmas" year round? What if we talked to him and about him on every holiday? What if we zeroed in on who he is every day? What if our actions and words matched up to show the world that OUR JESUS IS NOT JUST THE REASON FOR THE SEASON but He is the reason we are here! I might have packed away my decorations but I am not going to pack away my Jesus..not this year.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house."
Matthew 5:14-15

0 comments:

Post a Comment